Behind the Scenes with studioahimsa

This week I had the privilege of interviewing Studioahimsa, who creates beautiful greeting cards, jewelry, paintings, and more.





Lets begin!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Tell us a bit about yourself and your family.

I am originally from Vancouver, where I now live, but lived in Houston, Texas for most of my childhood. My teen years were spent in Calgary, Canada. I am an art historian, and have a background in interior design. I live with my best friend of more than 12 years, and we collectively run our studioahimsa shop.



What do you make?

Recycled paper greeting cards, letter sets and stationary. These are linocut or digitally printed from our own illustrations. Plus, we make limited edition prints.



When did you start creating, and why?

I have been creating art in some form for over 20 years, but finally decided to sell things (online) in early July.

Tell us about your studio.

My studio is in my small apartment. It is 580 square feet and my best friend and I each have a small room. We work on a movable cart that fits in the closet-sized storage room and at our desks, mostly, in the living room. It is pretty cramped! We plan on having a studio (live/work preferably) within a year so that we can get ourselves some letterpress supplies and expand the business.


Do you have any inspirations, or someone you find especially inspiring to you?

I am inspired by landscape, and nature. . .colors around me, and feelings. My best friend is encouraging and inspirational.

Do you have a favorite piece you created?

I started a series on Canadian Provincial flowers with the Alberta wild rose card set: http://www.etsy.com/listing/51583276/card-set-alberta-wild-rose-linocut I also love Greg's Coffee Coffee Coffee Limited Edition print http://www.etsy.com/listing/51050372/art-print-coffee-coffee-coffee-on-cloth



Do you wear your art?

I don't wear the items that I sell, but I have made necklaces just for myself, which I definitely do wear.

Do you photograph your own items?

Yes, I do. I am saving up to buy a new camera so that the pictures come out a bit nicer, though.

Do you attend art and craft fairs/shows?

Not yet. Once we have more stationary in our line and have the space to store all the extra product, we will start attending.



What are your future aspirations for your business?

As I mentioned, I would love to start using a letterpress for our stationary. I have goals for amounts of sales by the end of the year and types of new items in the store, as well. We are planning to create some notebooks and other stationary items in the near future, as well as more letter sets.

How did you find Etsy?

I don't remember - I think I was looking for some jewelry to buy a few years ago and someone's website directed me to Etsy.com.

Tell us a fun fact about yourself!

I write a blog called Being Tazim (http://www.beingtazim.com), which focuses on art, design, travel and other creative personas.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow, thank you for this wonderful insight into what goes on behind the scenes at Studioahimsa!

Everything is beautiful, you and your friend are very talented! I wish you all the best with your business!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
more

3 comments:

Being Tazim said...

looks amazing! thank you so much for featuring me and my art practice!! :)

palafoxstudio23 said...

great interview!! thanks for sharing!! : )

Lotus Out Loud ॐ said...

A wonderful artisan to feature! Thank you! :)